Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Spot the geriatric rat

Dango (his awesomeness) survived to about 2 years, 9 months. Once he was 2 and still going strong, I felt sorry for him--he seemed lonely and bored and had no one to groom him or curl up with. So we got Spot and Stripe. Actually, Daughter named them Elemenope (sp?) and Doctor Shemp. Once Dango shuffled off this mortal coil, and Daughter really had no interest in these two (who, in all fairness, I was the one who insisted that we get them, because I had such a soft spot in my heart for Dango. 

Anyway, there's no way on earth I was going to manage to remember those names and use them on a regular basis, so I renamed them Spot and Stripe, after the markings on their foreheads. Stripe, the one with whom I had a MODICUM of success in socializing, died a month ago. Spot is still with us.

As I noted on Facebook, back on July 6...

Spot the rat genuinely seems to be slowing down now. He's over 2 1/2 years old, so he's definitely led a long life for his species. I was starting to wonder if he'd made the rookie mistake of asking the gods for eternal life without clarifying that he wanted that to come with a side order of eternal youth and heath.

Spot today.



I keep trying to give him minimally invasive sponge-baths, what with his living in his own filth. In my mind, it seems the kind thing to do. Spot would seem to disagree.

No comments: