Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Church unity--you're doing it wrong!

I honestly thought I had reached a point in my life where I no longer felt the need to comment on this sort of thing

This sort of thing being the little church in Kentucky that has voted to ban interracial couples.  As half of an interracial couple, my reaction to this sort of thing is generally something along the lines of, "You suck. I wouldn't want to hang out with you anyway."

But for some reason, I decided to click through and read the article, and now I feel compelled to comment--because of this:

Melvin Thompson, a minister at the church, explained to the Lexington Herald-Leader that the resolution “is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve.”

UNITY? That's what this is about? You might want to check your Bible, because, as I recall, God's idea of unity is kinda different from yours.  And another thing--I'm pretty sure God is all about challenging us to do things that take us outside our comfort zones. It's pretty much His modus operandi.

I'm picturing God doing a "facepalm" in reaction to this absurdity.






No comments: