Friday, November 4, 2011

The evil monitoring device





My nemesis. I freaking HATED this machine. It was always beeping at me, and I had a headache most of the time. There was a squiggly line representing my oxygen levels, one for my respiration, and one for my heart rate. People kept coming in and bothering me every time the machine beeped and didn't stop until someone came to do something.

At some point my blood pressure was high, causing nurses to come in MORE often to check my blood pressure. (I never have high blood pressure--if anything, it is typically on the low side.) But basically, I got my arm squeezed really tight on a regular basis. Not so comfy.

Once I was allowed to sit up in a chair, I could watch the monitor and work to bring my heart rate down. Or I could make sure the little tubes were securely inside my nose, and take several breaths through those tubes, and bring my O2 levels up to a level that made the machine stop making noise. I'm still not sure why I needed to be on oxygen, but even my very last night in the hospital, I still had these stupid tubes in my nose. so even if I finally fell asleep, if I moved at all, and my oxygen levels reflected that, someone had to come in and fuss about something.

Anyway, that's why I wrote that I said on Facebook that I was working on my biofeedback skills. I just wanted the bad noise to stop, because it was making my headache worse, and I had no way of making a headache go away. Tylenol was useless, and I couldn't have Excedrin, the only thing that had EVER worked for my headaches, and Excedrin is what caused my ulcers in the first place.

No comments: